From high fashion to traditional folk art, textiles have a language of their own that tells the story of who created them. Experimentation and innovation are emphasized as students learn how to express their own designer’s voice through textile designs. They are guided by Kate Lewis whose manipulated and embroidered designs have been featured on the runways and in the collections of the best fashion houses of New York, London, and Paris.
Topics covered include translating a concept into a creation (along with risk taking) and exploring and subverting traditional techniques—such as pleating, hand and machine stitching, and applique—to create forms and embellishments from a unique perspective. The class is designed for those with previous experience working with textiles, including quilters, embroiderers, and mixed-media and garment makers and designers. Bring your favorite textile pieces or their images to the first class.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Kate Lewis.
- This program includes 3 sessions, 3 hours each.
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.