You love art
Now become the expert you've always wanted to be and register in our Certificate Program in World Art History
Art is all around us. It excites us, enriches our lives, and enlivens our imaginations. But to truly appreciate any work of art, we need to understand the context and culture in which it was produced. That's why Smithsonian Associates has created an exciting new certificate program in World Art History.
The program forgoes exams and papers and focuses instead on a flexible, personalized approach to expanding your knowledge and appreciation of art. The wide-ranging offerings are designed to provide a global perspective on art and architecture and draw on the Smithsonian's world-class collections and the rich resources of other Washington institutions.
Under the guidance of expert teachers, examine the major creators, movements, and historical periods that shaped art across civilizations and centuries. Take in-depth looks at masterworks and explore specialized topics. Choose the courses that speak to your own interests—and complete the program requirements at your own pace.
How the Program Works
Participants select core courses and electives from among Smithsonian Associates' courses, seminars, study tours, and studio art classes. Each World Art History Certificate core course or elective carries a value of one credit or one-half credit.
- A total of 4 core course credits and 6 elective credits are needed to complete the certificate program. Courses are identified on each program page and are worth 1 credit. Electives can be both ½ credit and 1 credit and are noted on individual program pages.
- Participants can begin at any time. Courses are ongoing, and new topics will be added regularly.
- The certificate program can be completed remotely through Smithsonian Associates' online programming on Zoom.
- All certificate program offerings and their credit value are noted in the monthly Smithsonian Associates program guide and in online listings.
Benefits of Registering:
- Receive early notifications about upcoming offerings
- Receive invitations for special tours and informal gatherings with course leaders and other program participants
Core courses focus on principles of viewing and appreciating art and architecture; cultural and historical overviews; and examinations of specific artistic periods, forms, and movements.
During each quarter of the calendar year, one core course is offered during the day and another in the evening. Topics are staggered so that core course offerings do not cover the same material or time periods concurrently.
Electives include one-time seminars or lectures that focus on individual creators or specialized topics in art, architecture, and art history. Select in-person study tours and studio arts classes are also offered as electives.
There is a $25 fee to register in the certificate program.
Registration in the World Art Certificate program does not automatically
entitle you to register for programs at the member rate. You will need to become a member
to access the member rate for programs/classes.
Terms & Conditions
How to Register