NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, June 10, 2022.
Whimsical or serious, personal or universal, collage is a highly versatile and accessible art technique that results in the playful combination of different and sometimes-unlikely materials. Collage evolved into assemblage through the integration of found objects and a broad range of unusual materials.
In this two-day workshop, students are introduced to the materials, tools, and techniques used in collage and assemblage. They find inspiration in artists who worked in collage including Joseph Cornell, Romare Bearden, and Gertrude Green, whose works are held in Smithsonian collections. Students express their observations by developing their own collage, mixed-media or assemblage projects.
Structured for both the non-artist and professional, this class focuses on the variety of choices in this medium. Whether constructing a piece of personal history through use of mementos or an abstract work, students learn through experimentation with color, form, and design. They explore the use of text, images, texture, and natural and found objects as they create.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Marcie Wolf-Hubbard.
- 2 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.