By Renate Maile-Moskowitz
NOTE: Registration for this program will close at 8:00 a.m. ET on Monday, November 29, 2021 to allow for shipping of the required supply kit.
The milkweed plant, also called silkweed, is a source of both food for the monarch butterfly caterpillar and fiber and floss used in everything from yarn to clothing. In this workshop, learn to transform a milkweed pod and its floss into a whimsical nesting swan using both wet and needle-felting techniques. Forming the wing feathers and beak cap, seedpod positioning, and creating a hanging mechanism are all covered.
Participants also learn about the milkweed and its versatile fibers in a short presentation and visual anthology of applications that have been passed down through history.
A supply kit ($25 plus shipping), available to purchase from the instructor, includes everything you need to create one ornament.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Renate Maile-Moskowitz.
- One 3-hour session
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.