Save up to 20% on the price of your tickets!
It's easy... Become a member today! If you are already a member, log in to get your member rate.
Discovering the Wines of South Africa
In collaboration with the Embassy of South Africa
Thursday, August 20, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
$25 - Non-Member
View of South African vineyard and mountains (Wines of South Africa)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
South Africa is the eighth largest global wine-producer and its wine industry is among the oldest of the New World. Explore the country’s 361-year history of winemaking, from its development at the Cape of Good Hope to its dramatic reinvention since the end of apartheid. Jim Clarke, marketing manager for Wines of South Africa, discusses how wind, sea, and mountains have shaped South Africa’s vineyards and what these defining elements bring to its wines, from South Africa’s flagbearer variety, Chenin Blanc, to diverse regional specialties such as Stellenbosch Cabernet Sauvignon, Elgin Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir from Hemel-en-Aarde (“Heaven and Earth”).
Clarke is the author of the new book The Wines of South Africa.
View list of wine recommendations from Jim Clarke.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.