The Post-election Blues: How Can Americans Regain Common Ground?
Thursday, January 14, 2021 - 6:45 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Everything seemingly divides Americans—from race to climate change, even whether to wear a mask. And now after one of the most polarized presidential campaign seasons in recent history, will it be possible to again find common ground by resurrecting the very American notion of E Pluribus Unum or “out of many, one”?
That’s the central question addressed in a frank conversation moderated by civility expert and Washington Post columnist Steven Petrow that focuses on the challenges before us, as well as actionable advice for individuals, communities—and even politicians. In fact, there’s some reason to be optimistic: New research by Public Agenda, a nonpartisan research organization, reveals hidden common ground exists among Americans that can help shift the narrative that we’re a hopelessly divided nation.
Petrow is joined by panelists Carolyn Hax, the Washington Post’s advice columnist; Jamil Zaki, author of The War for Kindness: Building Empathy in a Fractured World; and Will Friedman, Senior Fellow for Public Agenda.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.