Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
Write Into Art: Creative Writing Inspired by Visual Art
Daytime Workshop (Session 2 of 4-Session Course)
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. ET
Self-Portrait, ca. 1630, by Judith Leyster (National Gallery of Art)
Save $20 when you purchase all 4 sessions of the Write into Art course!
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
Discover how visual art can inspire creative writing and how writing can offer a powerful way to experience art. Join Mary Hall Surface, the founding instructor of the National Gallery of Art’s popular Writing Salon, for a series of four online workshops that explore the essential elements of writing through close looking, word-sketching, and imaginative writing.
The sessions spotlight a diverse range of visual art chosen to inspire writers of all experience levels to deepen their process and practice. Each workshop is limited to 30 participants to maximize interaction among the instructor and students.
Surface is a teaching artist, playwright, and theatre director and producer. She presents workshops nationwide in creative writing and drama as a Kennedy Center teaching artist and was a six-summer faculty member at Harvard’s Project Zero Classroom.
Setting: The Power of Place
Step inside 20th-century African American artist Hale Woodruff’s Georgia Landscape as you explore the literal and metaphorical role of setting in writing.
If you are interested in additional Write Into Art workshops, view the upcoming schedule:
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.