Note: This is an evening in-person program for children and families. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for participation, additionally, current CDC and Smithsonian COVID-19 guidelines (at the time of the event will be followed), including but not limited to masks indoors.
The crowds are gone, and the doors have closed. Finally, one of the world's most popular museums is your playground until nearly midnight!
Join other night owls as you immerse yourself in a unique Smithsonian experience. Wander through the Natural History Museum’s galleries, brushed by giant shadows cast by dinosaurs, exploring the Earth’s past, discovering the wonders of the ocean, and more. Move along guided by the fun and challenging Adaptation Game filled with activities to complete, from making an underwater fossil and discovering whale ankle bones to picking a pollinator and building a dinosaur—and even learning how to eat like one!
When your nocturnal adventure ends, journey home with objects you collected on the trail through the museum.
- This program is for children ages 8 to 14 years old, accompanied by their adult chaperones (21 or older).
- There must be at least one adult chaperone for every 5 children in any group that registers. No adults without children.
- Pre-packaged, individually wrapped snacks will be available.
- 6:30 - 7 p.m. Check-in
- 7 p.m. Orientation (mandatory attendance)
- 11 p.m. Program ends, depart from the museum
- Ticket sales will end at 12 a.m. on Friday, July 15, 2022. Ticket must be purchased in advance; no door sales.
- Group sales are available for 10 or more people for $50 per person. Call 202-633-3030 during regular business hours to take advantage.
Additional Summer 2022 Dates
For additional information, visit SmithsonianAssociates.org/nights.