NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, November 12, 2021.
This two-part workshop focuses on the art of self-portraiture through photography.
In the first session, art historian and photographer Patricia Howard will give a talk focusing on self-portraits by artists who use photographic processes, including Man Ray, Vivian Maier, Andy Warhol, and Cindy Sherman. The focus will be on examining the portraits for the artists’ personalities and lives as well as their individual approaches to poses, lighting, angle, and specific photographic processes used.
During the second session, students will have the opportunity to create their own self-portraits created through experimentation with approach and methodology. We will discuss what creates a successful self-portrait and what it may say about a photographers’ life, personality, and art. Self-portraits provide an opportunity for creativity and self-expression, and the photographer may seek a focus other than the face to visually express something significant about themselves.
Participants will need access to a digital camera or cell phone to create self-portraits.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Patricia Howard.
- 2 sessions, 2 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.