From its start as a DVD-by-mail rental service, Netflix has systematically changed the rules of the media business. Its introduction of streaming in 2007 led to the decline of such video rental stores as Blockbusters and dramatically increased the use of broadband internet.
Starting in 2013, Netflix’s introduction of its own programming, from House of Cards to The Crown to Stranger Things, challenged the traditional ways viewers watched TV. Now its original movies, like The Irishman and the three-time Academy Award-winner Roma, are upending the operations of the Hollywood studios.
Media expert Brian Rose explores how Netflix, with an ever-increasing budget of over $15 billion per year, service to 190 countries, and 150 million subscribers, is primed to become the dominant source of leisure time entertainment throughout the world.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.