You love the songs that are the soundtrack of your life. Join national travel journalist and broadcaster Bill Clevlen on a virtual road trip to the places where they were born and where iconic performers made history, a memorable cross-country journey into the heart of American music.
The itinerary takes you from instrument-themed museums to recording studios, famous stages to murals honoring musical greats. Along the way Clevlen spotlights statues of artists including Dolly Parton and Ray Charles; Motown’s legendary Studio A; the Grand Ole Opry; the places where the blues and hip-hop were first heard; Little Richard’s childhood home; the room where Aretha Franklin recorded her first hit; and the last spot Hank Williams was seen alive. It’s a virtual trip that will bring back plenty of memories—and perhaps inspire your own real-life one to follow the music you love.
Clevlen’s new book, The Ultimate American Music Bucket List: A Guide for Music Lovers and Road Trippers (Publishing Concepts) is available for sale.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.