Stan Newman (Photo: Howard Schnapp)
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll be solving puzzles faster and more accurately after this intensive and fun seminar led by Stanley Newman. He’s the crossword editor for Newsday, winner of the U.S. Open Crossword Championship, and holder of the world record for the fastest completion of the New York Times crossword.
A set of Stan’s Monday-to-Saturday crosswords of increasing difficulty is available now for downloading. Please complete them prior to the seminar and have them handy on August 21. Peeking at the answers is encouraged if needed.
9:30 to 10:45 a.m. Behind the Scenes
How to select the best crosswords for you, use their hidden rules, and build your skills.
11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Secrets of the Champions
Strategies of tournament champs. Newman’s personal training regimen.
12:15 to 1:15 p.m. Break
1:15 to 2:30 p.m. Tackling the Toughies
Breaking the rules. Building the mental flexibility that’s the key to success.
2:45 to 4 p.m. How Crosswords are Made
Knowing how to think like a puzzle maker helps in breaking through logjams. Learn how it’s done—and maybe get started thinking about a career as a professional puzzler.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.