This program will be available for sale to the general public starting on December 7, 2021.
Want to purchase your tickets before then? Become a member today, or if you are already a member, log in to purchase your tickets.
Jane Austen: Her Enduring Legacy
Monday, March 14, 2022 - 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. ET
$20 - Member
$25 - Non-Member
Depiction of Austen from A Memoir of Jane Austen (1871)
Why do so many readers throughout the world today still clamor after the books of Jane Austen, one of the most instantly recognizable names in all of literature? How did her original writing style and unique artistic vision help to reinvent the novel in the 19th century? And why is Austen’s life a subject of ongoing fascination—and of Hollywood movies?
Joseph Luzzi, professor of comparative literature at Bard College, explores Austen’s remarkable career and equally astonishing—and challenging—life. He also delves into several of her books, including Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, that made her one of the most revered authors in the literary tradition.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.