As the leader of a team of federal agents known as The Untouchables, Eliot Ness’ two-fisted enforcement of Prohibition-era laws and relentless pursuit of mob boss Al Capone was only the beginning in his fight against crime. The team’s camera-ready exploits included crashing through the doors of illicit breweries in Ness’ famous battering-ram truck—inevitably inspiring a popular television series and a celebrated movie, cementing Ness’ image as the embodiment of uncompromising justice.
The storied lawman continued his brand of crime fighting in the relentless pursuit of organized crime in Cleveland where he was presented with a case unlike any he had ever faced: “The Butcher of Kingsbury Run” whose crimes mimicked those of Jack the Ripper. For Ness, it would be the challenge of a lifetime.
Join author Daniel Stashower and actor Scott Sedar as they bring this American icon to life, from his early exploits in Chicago to the unprecedented manhunt in Cleveland.
Stashower’s book American Demon: Eliot Ness and the Hunt for America’s Jack the Ripper (Minotaur Books), is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.