Maquette for book cover, designed by Alvin Lustig, 1955 (Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum collection)
“The world is never the same once a good poem has been added to it,” Dylan Thomas once remarked. By that measure, the celebrated Welsh poet changed the world many times over. Thomas ranks among the 20th century’s most romantic and tragic figures, famous not only for his acutely lyrical, soul-stirring poetry, but also his turbulent, hard-drinking lifestyle. “I hold a beast, an angel and a madman in me,” he once wrote.
A born performer, Thomas also went on lecture tours and made dozens of broadcasts on BBC radio, including celebrated readings of the beloved story A Child's Christmas in Wales. “Dylan Thomas is that rare thing,” noted one admirer, “a poet who has it in him to allow us, particularly those of us who are coming to poetry for the first time, to believe that poetry might not only be vital in itself but also of some value to us in our day-to-day lives."
Join us as we “burn and rave at close of day” in a celebration of this incandescent spirit. Author Daniel Stashower explores Thomas’s life and legacy, and actor Scott Sedar offers dramatic readings of some of his most celebrated poems.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.