This program is sold out.
Complete Colored Pencils
4 Session Afternoon Studio Arts Course
Monday, January 24, 2022 - 1:00 p.m.to Monday, February 14, 2022 - 4:00 p.m. ET
Monday, January 24, 2022 - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET
$175 - Member
$195 - Non-Member
Colored pencil, an often-over-looked dry medium, is coming into its own. Whether used in fine art or illustration, they can enliven work with rich, vibrant color and a dizzying range of effects. Learn basic to intermediate methods and strategies with colored pencils, guided by illustrator Lori VanKirk Schue.
Discover how to achieve watercolors’ translucency through layering, blending, and buffing strokes. Class discussion, mini projects, and demonstrations further highlight the medium’s versatility. Explore the best techniques for working in various styles from realism to impressionism. And experiment using colored pencils for illustration, portraiture, landscape, and still-life art.
It’s no surprise that colored pencils are a favorite among artists seeking an alternative to paint or pastels. The medium is also relatively inexpensive and very portable.
No previous drawing experience is necessary; all skill levels are welcome.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Lori VanKirk Schue.
- 4 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.