And Then There Were None, 1945 film
Nearly 50 years have passed since the publication of her final book, but Dame Agatha Christie remains the best-selling novelist of all time, with a staggering two billion copies of her work sold across the globe. Celebrated for her intricate plots, sharp characterizations, and masterful suspense, Agatha Christie created two of crime fiction’s most indelible sleuths: the “quaint, dandified” Belgian detective Hercule Poirot and the “fussy and spinsterish” Miss Jane Marple of St. Mary Mead, who is fond of observing that there is “a great deal of wickedness in village life.”
Along with her 66 detective novels and 14 short story collections, Dame Agatha also found time for a robust career as a playwright, with the world’s longest-running play—The Mousetrap—to her credit.
Christie’s life was occasionally as intriguing as one of her novels. Her mysterious disappearance over the course of eleven days in December 1926 touched off a massive search and international headlines, ending only when she surfaced at a spa hotel in Yorkshire, claiming to have lost her memory. An intensely private person, she never spoke of the episode publicly. “People should be interested in books,” she once observed, “not their authors.”
Join author Daniel Stashower as he explores Agatha Christie’s life and career while actors Scott Sedar and Bari Biern give voice to her most beloved characters.
It would be a crime to miss it.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.