Statue of Liberty (detail) depicted in a mosaic at the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Like the myriad of small pieces of colored stone, tile, and glass that make up a mosaic, the Washington, DC area contains a surprising number of works that together provide a picture of the styles and techniques that mark an art form that’s been practiced since ancient times.
Join mosaic artist Bonnie Fitzgerald for a virtual tour of a wide variety of local mosaic treasures at notable public sites, contemporary spaces, and federal and private buildings. Highlights include inside looks at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, home to glorious Byzantine-style mosaics and the remarkable catacomb-like Crypt Church; muralist Lumen Martin Winter’s marble, Italian glass, and gold 20th-century masterpieces in AFL-CIO's headquarters on 16th Street; and many other hidden gems.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.