Washington's Marvelous Mosaics
Studio Arts Workshop with Virtual Tour
Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. ET
Statue of Liberty (detail) depicted in a mosaic at the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Photo: Bonnie Fitzgerald)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
Like the myriad of small pieces of colored stone, tile, and glass that make up a mosaic, the Washington, DC area contains a surprising number of works that together provide a picture of the styles and techniques that mark an art form that’s been practiced since ancient times.
Join mosaic artist Bonnie Fitzgerald for a virtual tour of a wide variety of local mosaic treasures at notable public sites, contemporary spaces, and federal and private buildings. Highlights include inside looks at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, home to glorious Byzantine-style mosaics and the remarkable catacomb-like Crypt Church; muralist Lumen Martin Winter’s marble, Italian glass, and gold 20th-century masterpieces in AFL-CIO's headquarters on 16th Street; and many other hidden gems.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.