Brooklyn Bridge from the DUMBO waterfront
Please Note: This tour is designed for participants that live in the DC Metro Region. The tour departs by motorcoach from downtown Washington, DC with a designated secondary pick-up outside the city. Content delivered by the study leader on the way to the destination is an integral part of the study tour experience. Meeting the group once the tour is en route is discouraged.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for participation on all tours; additionally, current CDC and Smithsonian COVID-19 guidelines (at the time of the tour) will be followed, including but not limited to masks on the bus and indoors.
An independent city until 1898, Brooklyn is New York City's most populous borough, with more than two and a half million residents. It’s also arguably the most historic and colorful section of the city and today is hipper than ever, filled with intriguing shops and restaurants and a booming cultural scene. On this two-day visit, arts journalist and former Brooklynite Richard Selden introduces you to several of Brooklyn's top attractions.
The itinerary includes the Brooklyn Museum; a concert performance at Bargemusic, a unique floating chamber-music venue; and a special look inside the cutting-edge Brooklyn Academy of Music. The group also visits the 52-acre Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Brooklyn Bridge, Olmsted and Vaux's Prospect Park, and other landmarks.
Participants stay in a hotel in the heart of Brooklyn and eat like locals with dinner at a charming Italian restaurant in Carroll Gardens and a visit to an authentic Turkish restaurant for lunch.
- Cost includes bus transportation, lodging, all activities, and the following meals: one breakfast, two lunches, and Sunday dinner
- Tour meets and departs by bus from the Mayflower Hotel, Connecticut Ave. and DeSales St., NW., with a pick-up stop at I-495, Exit 27 carpool lot at about 7:25 a.m.
- Single-room supplement $100 (factored into the Single Room Member and Single Room Non-Member pricing).
- Singles registering at the double-room rate are paired (on a nonsmoking basis) if possible, but must pay the single-room supplement otherwise.
- Detailed information is mailed to registrants about four weeks prior to departure.
- Registrants may want to consider purchasing trip insurance.