Left: Carole King, 2000 (Photo: Linda D. Kozaryn); Right: Neil Diamond, 1976 (Photo: Jessie Eastland)
Save when you purchase the Music That Defined a Generation series!
Pop music would not be the same without Carole King, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, and Neil Diamond. As they began their careers, these young, music-crazy artists propelled the songs and us with them. And at their peak, each was recognized by the Kennedy Center Honors.
Their music defined the summer of a generation’s youth, and now the whole world still sings their songs. Sweet Caroline, Piano Man, You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman, and What’s Love Got to Do with It were just the beginning. This extraordinary quartet of artists both reflected their times and changed them. And we loved them for it.
Join Sara Lukinson, filmmaker and writer for the Kennedy Center Honors for 38 years, to talk about the lives of these performing arts legends, enjoy clips of their performances, and explore what made them so moving, memorable, and exciting. Lukinson, a multiple Emmy Award winner, created more than 200 short biographical films for the Kennedy Center Honors. She teaches at NYU and the 92nd Street Y.
Billy Joel and Neil Diamond
With classics like New York State of Mind and I’m a Believer, it’s hard to name a song of theirs we don’t know by heart. These singer-songwriters, creative force fields of popular song, connected so completely with their audiences and defied all the predictions to become enduring, outsized stars. They’re artists who went their own way, writing melodic and meaningful songs delivered with punch and pizazz.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.