Save when you purchase the Favorite Movies and Their Times series!
Some moments in movies never leave us: the piercing eyes of a private eye, a raft hurtling down the rapids, that little black dress, the close-up of a fading movie star. In a 5-session film discussion series featuring film clips and stills, documentary filmmaker and writer Sara Lukinson revisits some of our favorite movies and characters, setting them against the backdrop of their times, the people who dreamed them up, and the America they reflected—or asked us to imagine.
Lukinson, a multiple Emmy Award winner, created more than 200 short biographical films for the Kennedy Center Honors. She teaches at NYU and the 92nd Street Y.
Portraits of a Woman: Katharine Hepburn and Elizabeth Taylor
These larger-than-life screen performers—one spirited and independent, the other a luminous beauty—brought us two completely different portraits of the American woman, turning them into enduring legends. Kate and Liz broke the rules and our hearts and turned Hollywood on its head. Film portraits include clips from: The Philadelphia Story, The Lion in Winter, On Golden Pond, A Place in the Sun, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and Cleopatra.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.