Registration Advisory: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This series includes wine tasting kits as part of its ticket price that must be picked up in Washington, DC.
Note: These programs can be purchased separately. Registration for this series will end by 9 a.m. ET on Friday, October 20, 2023.
Spend three fascinating evenings expanding your knowledge of wine as you travel the world with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable wine-tasting adventures. Each immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
October 20 Winning at Wine for the Holidays: Selections and Pairing Suggestions
With the holidays around the corner, the pressure is on. With so much to think about, perfect food and wine pairings shouldn't have to be one of them. In this delicious exploration, Segelbaum teaches how to pair food and wine like a pro with a focus on traditional holiday and winter dishes. Learn the steadfast rules of food and wine pairing along with do's and (more importantly) don't's to take your meals to the next level. Before becoming a sommelier, Segelbaum was a fine-dining chef for 10 years, so don't be surprised if you walk away with a few recipes and culinary tips and tricks to truly "win" the holidays. Note: This is a wine tasting only, no food is provided.
November 17 Amazing Wines of Argentina
There can be no question that food and wine go hand in hand in Argentina. Despite being thought of as part of the New World when it comes to wine, Argentina brings to it an Old World spirit with its rich heritage and traditions from Spanish and Italian immigrants hundreds of years ago. Today, Argentine wine is undergoing a renaissance in every way imaginable. Pioneering winemakers are pushing limits in everything from altitude to latitude to techniques in the vineyard and winery. Taste through this delicious deep dive into the new world of Argentine wine.
December 15 California Dreaming
When winter looms with cold weather, it's only natural that thoughts turn to warmer climes and warmer wines. California sits atop a well-earned throne of recognition as one of the most important states for fine-wine production. With generally warm weather and proximity to the Pacific Ocean, California wine regions are primed for peak performance. Discover some of the most exciting expressions of California wine through this delicious tasting designed to warm your soul with whites and reds that will wipe away the winter blues.
Note: View a list of programs with Erik Segelbaum.
Wine Tasting Kit Information
- The cost includes curated personal tasting kits with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kits, which is an essential component of the series.
- UPDATE: Each session will have separate kits available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before the program and the day of the program, at a location TBA.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to the program.
- Due to state and federal laws, Smithsonian Associates cannot ship wine kits. However, SOMLYAY may be able to provide kits to participants outside the Washington, D.C., area (who must cover shipping costs). Please contact email@example.com for more information.
About Erik Segelbaum
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.