REGISTRATION ADVISORY: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This program includes a wine tasting kit as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
Spend a fascinating evening expanding your knowledge of wine as you travel the world with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable wine-tasting adventures. The immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
With the holidays around the corner, the pressure is on. With so much to think about, perfect food and wine pairings shouldn't have to be one of them. In this delicious exploration, Segelbaum teaches how to pair food and wine like a pro with a focus on traditional holiday and winter dishes. Learn the steadfast rules of food and wine pairing along with do's and (more importantly) don't's to take your meals to the next level. Before becoming a sommelier, Segelbaum was a fine-dining chef for 10 years, so don't be surprised if you walk away with a few recipes and culinary tips and tricks to truly "win" the holidays. Note: This is a wine tasting only, no food is provided.
Wine Tasting Kit Information
- The cost includes a curated personal tasting kit with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kit, which is an essential component of the workshop.
- UPDATED as of October 16: Kits are available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before the program and the day of the program, 12–5 p.m., at Shilling Canning Company (360 Water Street SE, Washington, DC; Metro: Navy Yard-Ballpark station, Green line).
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to the program.
- Due to state and federal laws, Smithsonian Associates cannot ship wine kits. However, SOMLYAY may be able to provide kits to participants outside the Washington, D.C., area (who must cover shipping costs). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Erik Segelbaum
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
Additional Fall Wine Adventures Programs