NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, January 21, 2022.
The beautiful decorations of religious and secular manuscripts are centuries-old Islamic traditions. In this beginning course, Sughra Hussainy, a graduate of Turquoise Mountain Institute in Kabul, Afghanistan, teaches elements of gold-leaf manuscript illumination in the Afghan tradition. Students create geometric, vegetable, and floral motifs and nature-based designs using graph and tracing paper and transfer their designs onto fine-art paper. They then learn to color the designs with opaque watercolors, outline them in black ink, and apply illuminations using gold leaf and gum Arabic to create stunning ornamentation for calligraphy, manuscripts, and more.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Sughra Hussainy.
- 8 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.