2-Session Daytime Workshop
Friday, January 22 and 29, 2021 – 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Book artist Sushmita Mazumdar guides students in an exploration of the many creative ways to work with paper and make personal storybooks by hand. In the first session, bookmaking styles from around the world are discussed, with an emphasis on Islamic, Japanese, and Himalayan traditions. Participants build and bind several books using standard bookmaking papers and thread as well as unusual materials such as manila folders and matchboxes.
The newly created books serve as inspiration for a second session of creative writing and art-making using calligraphy, collage, and other techniques. No previous experience needed.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Sushmita Mazumdar.
- 2 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.