This program is sold out.
Contemporary Mosaics: From the Ground Up
6-Session Evening Course
Tuesday, February 2 to March 9, 2021 - 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Find inspiration in both the ancient art of mosaics and the form’s international movement. Sessions guide students of all skill levels through the process of creating a mixed-media abstract mosaic. They also have the opportunity to experiment with several new mosaic fabrication techniques.
Students engineer a handmade substrate using mortar and fiberglass mesh. They are introduced to traditional mosaic materials (marble, stone, smalti,) and craft an ungrouted, 1-square-foot piece using shells, pebbles and stones in combination with ceramics, broken china, glass tiles, and other materials. There is also instruction in how to embed multiple layers of tesserae directly into a setting bed, which can be used to create complex textures. Mosaic design principles, lay patterns (andamento), and color theory are also covered.
The downloadable supplemental supply list describes instructor-prepared kits that include materials for constructing a small prototype substrate as well as a larger final work; selected mosaic materials (smalti, stone, crockery, ceramic, shells, and more); and student-provided recommended tools and materials.
Supply kits must be purchased from the instructor (download the Supply List below) and cost $85. Please place your order no later than one week prior to the first class. Kits will be shipped the week prior to the first class.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Bonnie Fitzgerald.
- 6 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.