They were hard-drinking, hard-living poker players and prostitutes of the new boom towns; wives and mothers traveling two and a half thousand miles across the prairies in covered-wagon convoys, some of them so poor they walked the entire route; African American women in search of freedom from slavery; Chinese sex workers sold openly on the docks of San Francisco; Native American women brutally displaced by the unstoppable tide of white settlers. And all were women forced to draw on huge reserves of resilience and courage in the face of tumultuous change.
Drawing on letters, diaries, and other contemporary accounts, and sifting through the legends and the myths, the laws and the treaties, Katie Hickman discusses the cast of unforgettable women she captures in new her book, Brave Hearted: The Women of the American West. She brings to life the story of the women who participated in the greatest mass migration in American history, transforming their country in the process—history not as it was romanticized, but as it was lived.
London-based Hickman is an international best-selling historian. Her book Brave Hearted: The Women of the American West (Spiegel & Grau) is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.