Photographers who want better picture quality and more control of the process are moving away from their phones to either digital SLRs or mirrorless cameras. Both provide a full range of ISO, shutter, and aperture controls, which makes the process of taking pictures much more interesting and provides results that are clearer, sharper, and enriched with more delicate tones and colors.
Learning to use an SLR or mirrorless camera is not complicated. During the first session, features such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and depth of field are described and illustrated. Participants learn how to control them on their cameras. Screen sharing over Zoom should make everyone’s camera accessible. The instructor’s notes and illustrations describe most cameras. Shooting modes such as shutter and aperture priority are demonstrated, and students are guided in their use. Technical information on resolution, RAW vs. JPEG files, and white balance and auto focus modes are also covered.
Between sessions, students are encouraged to do some shooting on their own (the instructor offers suggestions). A selection of photos can be uploaded before the second session, which features a conversation over Zoom about everyone’s photos and the choices made in the field. Gentle suggestions for possible improvement are offered, and additional concepts are introduced.
The class is suitable for anyone with a digital SLR or mirrorless camera who wants a solid introduction to its features and potential. The instructor has illustrated notes for most camera types with the specific settings discussed.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Eliot Cohen.
- This program includes 2 sessions, 3.5 hours each.
- NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, November 3, 2023.
- This program will not be recorded.
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.