Haydn often performed in London’s Hanover Square Rooms
“It is fearful! It is mad! I am mixed up and confused. London is the most grandiose monster on the face of the earth. How can I compress into one letter what I have experienced in three days!”
Those are the words Felix Mendelssohn wrote to his family after arriving in England’s great capital for the first time in April 1829. Like many composers before and after, he was to discover a country thrilled to hero-worship glamorous artists from abroad. Haydn, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Liszt, and Chopin all concertized in elegant new public halls, built to accommodate an eager middle-class flocking to applaud enthusiastically.
In a recital with commentary, popular speaker and concert pianist Rachel Franklin serves as tour guide to the England these masters found. Through delightful music plus contemporary letters and newspaper articles, she follows our favorite composers as they hobnob with royalty, dazzle the critics, complain about the weather, and admire the ladies. Her live performance includes works by Haydn and Chopin.
British-born Franklin has been a featured speaker for organizations including the Library of Congress and NPR, exploring intersections among classical and jazz music, film scores, and the fine arts.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.