The Silk Road conjures images of romantic oases, dusty caravans, and mysterious far-away places. Rather than a single thoroughfare, however, it was an intricate network of trade routes that spread across Central Asia, passing through villages and ancient cities as it wound from the farthest reaches of China into southern Europe. Merchants hauled exotic goods for trade. More importantly, they also carried an exchange of ideas, knowledge, and culture.
Professional educator and award-winning tour guide Zulya Rajabova presents a colorful introduction to the Great Silk Road and five Central Asia countries (aka “Stans”) that are considered the brightest jewels in the strand: Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan. Now celebrating more than 30 years of independence from Soviet rule, they are poised to become must-see destinations for sophisticated and adventurous travelers.
Rajabova, originally from Bukhara, Uzbekistan, highlights ancient UNESCO World Heritage sites, cultures, cuisines, and the rich history of her native country. It was once the center of an ancient trade route connecting the people of East and West to one another—and the future.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.