Denise Woods (Photo: D'Andre Michael)
One of the most sought-after vocal coaches in Hollywood, Denise Woods has worked with Halle Berry, Will Smith, Mahershala Ali, Jessica Chastain, Kirsten Dunst, Laurence Fishburne, Idris Elba, Ray Liotta, Taraji P. Henderson, and Mike Myers, among many others, teaching them how to use their voice to enhance their art. Drawing on her new book The Power of Voice: A Guide to Making Yourself Heard, Woods shares proven, practical, and invaluable tools to change both how we communicate and ultimately how we see ourselves.
From America’s number-one most feared task—public speaking—to asking for a raise, establishing your presence in video meetings to a marriage proposal, we’re judged by our voice, our most crucial instrument of expression. Woods discusses how to develop your voice and be heard in everyday life, and also addresses topics such as how to be heard as a person of color and how to convey who we are by embracing our culture, region, and heritage.
In conversation with NBC 4 Today Anchor Jummy Olabanji, Woods traces her journey from shy child in New York City to successful performer, teacher at the Julliard School (from which she graduated) and the California Institute of the Arts to her work with a host of stars. She provides valuable tips and lessons to overcome common voice and speech issues and become confident, effective communicators.
The Power of Voice (HarperOne) is available for sale.
Book Sale Information
- Purchase your copy of The Power of Voice by Denise Woods here.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Politics and Prose is offering a 10% discount to Smithsonian Associates ticket-holders. To claim your discount, enter the code SPECIAL10 (no space between letters and numbers) in the “Coupon discount” section on Politics and Prose's check-out page.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.