Hakeem Oluseyi (Photo: Freddie Claire)
Before Einstein published his theory of special relativity, Isaac Newton’s view from centuries earlier was accepted as fact: that we live in a “clockwork universe” where time and space are constant. What Einstein first imagined, and what quantum physics later formulated, is the possibility that we operate in a multiverse—potentially an infinity of universes where different versions of our lives are playing out in ways both imaginable and unimaginable.
Astrophysicist Hakeem Oluseyi dives into this mystery—and why the universe we perceive is not the universe that actually exists. In trying to understand our deceptive universe, he examines spacetime, the illusion of mass, the large-scale structure of the universe, dark matter, and dark energy.
Oluseyi recently served as the space science education lead in the Space Mission Directorate at NASA headquarters in Washington, D.C., where he provided strategic leadership and management for the directorate’s investments in science education and communications.
Hakeem’s new book, A Quantum Life: My Unlikely Journey from the Street to the Stars (Ballantine Books) is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.