NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, August 6, 2021.
Center yourself through the calm flow of the rhythmic motion of hand stitching. Create a therapeutic textile panel using a hand needle and materials you have at home, which can include vintage family textiles such as table napkins to add a connection to warm personal memories.
In the introductory class, instructor Lauren Kingsland offers design ideas and basic preparation instructions. Subsequent classes include embroidery and embellishment options and finishing techniques for your creation. Classes emphasize finding focus and freedom in the process of making, rather than creating a perfect product. Improvisation and following the inspiration of the moment is encouraged.
The course is open to all levels, and each session offers plenty of time for student interaction and questions.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Lauren Kingsland.
- 4 sessions, 2 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.