In this workshop designed for intermediate photographers, participants develop a greater understanding of the complex relationship among aperture, shutter speed, and ISO and how a camera’s exposure meter views a scene. Topics covered in depth include exposure modes, exposure compensation, filter exposure factors, bracketing, metering modes, histograms, the zone system, dynamic range, eliminating camera shake, tripods, and flash concepts.
Students learn how to correctly assess a scene and override what the camera recommends to consistently take accurately exposed photographs. Skills are honed by completing specifically designed assignments and through in-class review of work produced.
Students who will benefit most from this workshop will have taken an introductory photography class, possess good working knowledge of their cameras, and use a camera with the classic exposure modes (P, A/Av, S/Tv, M). Please have your camera and its manual at the first session.
Note: This streamed program will not be recorded.
- The instructor is Joe Yablonsky.
- 5 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.