NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, January 27, 2023.
Learn to fashion three different flowers in this 3-session workshop. Construct petals and leaves with and without wire, and with different stamens for each flower. Starting with the cosmos, the instructor explains basic construction as students stretch and build each bloom using various shades of crepe paper. In session 2, students create a classic peony in delicate petals in full bloom. In the final session, students build an iris using wire to dramatically shape the petals. Students get a feel for the materials by building flowers out of heavy and extra fine crepe paper, from leading crepe paper producers in Italy and Germany.
Beginners and seasoned crepe-paper enthusiasts are welcome.
All supplies are provided in a kit that will be mailed to the address on file at least one week prior to the beginning of class (a supply fee of $45 is included in the course price). If you need your supplies mailed to a different address, please email us at Associates-StudioArts@si.edu. Please order at least one week prior to the class date to allow ample time for delivery.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Karen Cadogan.
- 3 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.