In the wake of the January 6 siege on the Capitol, bitter political divisiveness, anger, and irrational thinking continue to roil the United States, inhibiting the possibility of logical debate. Disturbed by the contentious state of politics and the disappearance of “truth,” Enlightenment scholar Seth David Radwell decided to take a deep dive into American history in search of the root causes of this split.
In this investigative tracing of our nation’s divergent roots, Radwell explains that only reasoned analysis and historical perspective can act as salves for the irrational political discourse that is currently crowding out even the most remote opportunities to solve our most pressing problems.
Looking into foundational documents and the influence of the European Enlightenment, Radwell discovered a startling truth: Two disparate Americas have always coexisted, and the surprising origin of this was not an Enlightenment, but two distinct Enlightenments that have been fiercely competing since the founding of our country.
He discusses the nature of this divided vision and the core issues at the heart of the current national brawl. He also proposes a plan to begin the process of repair and reconciliation: a new dialogue between all thoughtful Americans, informed by our country’s history.
Radwell is an internationally known business executive and thought leader in consumer marketing.
His new book, American Schism: How the Two Enlightenments Hold the Secret to Healing Our Nation (Greenleaf Book Group), is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.