Theatrical poster for the release of the 1952 musical film "Singin' in the Rain"
Save $15 when you purchase all 3 sessions of this Favorite Movies and Their Times course!
Some moments in movies never leave us: a snappy line of dialogue, a dance in the rain or by the Seine, a timeless love song, a great last line. In a three-part film discussion series featuring film clips and stills, documentary filmmaker and writer Sara Lukinson revisits some of our favorite movies and characters, setting them against the backdrop of their times, the people who dreamed them up, and the America they reflected—or asked us to imagine.
Lukinson, a multiple Emmy Award winner, created more than 200 short biographical films for the Kennedy Center Honors. She teaches at NYU and the 92nd Street Y.
The Freed Unit: The Great MGM Movie Musicals
Under the direction and encouragement of the musical-loving producer Arthur Freed, his eponymous unit was responsible for creating the most glorious string of musicals in film history during the 1940s and ’50s. Gems like On the Town, Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, and The Band Wagon lift our spirits, no matter how many times we’ve see them. They’re joyous and exuberant, filled with brilliant dancing, songs we know by heart, and puddles we love to dance in.
If you are interested in additional Favorite Movies and Their Times sessions, view the upcoming winter schedule:
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.