Wine Regions of France and Italy: Burgundy
A Sommelier's Guide with Erik Segelbaum
Friday, August 14, 2020 - 6:00 p.m. ET
REGISTRATION ADVISORY: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This program includes a wine tasting kit as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Join Food and Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year Erik Segelbaum in an enjoyable interactive virtual workshop series designed to boost the wine IQ of both novices and seasoned aficionados. He dives into the worlds of French and Italian wine, covering four regions whose output is world-renowned. Segelbaum offers new insights, unravels misconceptions, reinvigorates your love of favorite varieties, and guides you in discovering some new ones. He also offers tips on navigating restaurant wine lists, tackling food and wine pairings, and more useful topics for wine lovers. This workshop focuses on the Burgundy wine region.
Burgundy is arguably one of the most complex wine regions in the world. Segelbaum tackles these intricacies by offering clear explanations that will have you sounding (and tasting) like an expert. Learn about classifications including Grand Cru, Premier Cru, and Villages and what they really mean both in words and in the glass. He leads explorations of major appellations in the Côte de Nuits and Côte de Beaune and discusses other significant wine regions of Burgundy including the Côte Challonaise, Macconais, and Beaujolais.
WINE TASTING KIT INFORMATION
- The cost includes a curated personal tasting kit with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kit, which is an essential component of the workshop.
- Kits are available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before and the day of the program at Maxwell Park wine bar in the Navy Yard neighborhood (1346 4th St. SE; Metro: Navy Yard-Ballpark, Green Line).
- Pick-ups are contactless, with all appropriate health, safety, and social distancing precautions. Due to state and federal laws, wines kits may not be shipped.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email leading up to the program.
ABOUT ERIK SEGELBAUM
Segelbaum holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. He is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
OTHER WINE REGIONS OF FRANCE AND ITALY PROGRAMS
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- EXTENDED: Sales will cut off for this program by Wednesday, August 12 at 12:00 a.m. ET.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.