Wine 101: A Top Sommelier's Guide
Friday, October 30, 2020 - 6:00 p.m. ET
REGISTRATION ADVISORY: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This program includes a wine tasting kit as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Join Food and Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year, Erik Segelbaum, in an enjoyable interactive workshop designed to boost the wine IQ of both novices and seasoned aficionados.
As Segelbaum covers the fundamentals of wine from abboccato (an Italian term for a semi-dry wine) to zymology (the science of fermentation), explore how our taste works and how the differences among a range of varietals and wine-making regions are reflected on the palate. A guided sampling of wines from around the world offers the perfect chance to sharpen your tasting abilities.
He also offers tips on navigating restaurant wine lists, tackling food and wine pairings, and more useful topics for wine lovers.
WINE TASTING KIT INFORMATION
- The cost includes a curated personal tasting kit with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kit, which is an essential component of the workshop.
- Kits are available for pick-up on Thursday, October 29, 1–5 p.m., and Friday, October 30, 1–5 p.m., at Maxwell Park wine bar in the Navy Yard neighborhood (1346 4th St. SE; Metro: Navy Yard-Ballpark, Green Line).
- Pick-ups are contactless, with all appropriate health, safety, and social distancing precautions. Due to state and federal laws, wine kits may not be shipped.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email leading up to the program.
ABOUT ERIK SEGELBAUM
Segelbaum holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. He is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Sales will cut off for this program by Friday, October 30 at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.