To call Cokie Roberts a legendary journalist merely scratches the surface of the life of this bestselling author and champion for women who was a fixture on national radio and television for 40 years.
The people closest to her remember her impressive mind and the tenacity that sent her career skyrocketing through glass ceilings at NPR and ABC. When faced with daily decisions and dilemmas, many still ask themselves the question, What Would Cokie Do? In 1990, legendary Spy magazine ran a cartoon illustrating her many connections with the headline “Cokie Roberts: Moderately Well-Known Broadcast Journalist or Center of the Universe?”. They were only half-joking.
In conversation with their daughter Rebecca Roberts, journalist, author, and educator Steve Roberts, Cokie’s husband of 53 years, reflects on her many accomplishments and how she lived each day with a devotion to helping others. Her commitment to celebrating and supporting other women was evident in everything she did, and her generosity and passion drove her personal and professional endeavors.
Roberts’ book Cokie: A Life Well-Lived (Harpers) is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.