Carol Lawrence (right) as Maria sings “I Feel Pretty” in "West Side Story's" original 1957 Broadway production (Fred Fehl/New York)
It was a startling, unheard-of idea: to remake Shakespeare’s romantic tragedy into a musical set in the streets of New York City. Thrilling and controversial, its vibrant score, finger-snapping dancing, and dark themes shook Broadway to its core. It became an Oscar-winning film, then an American theatrical landmark, and now a soon-to-be released film by Steven Spielberg.
Join documentary filmmaker and writer Sara Lukinson for a look at West Side Story’s creators—some of the greatest talents of their time—who risked everything, broke all rules, reshaped the American theater, and gave us a contemporary masterpiece, as well as how new interpretations are re-making the show for our times.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.