Clockwise: The Forbidden City, Beijing, China; Redwood National Park, northern California; Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Save when you purchase the UNESCO Heritage Sites series!
The 1,121 UNESCO World Heritage sites throughout the world offer a fascinating glimpse into the evolution of complex civilizations, empires, and religions. Justin M. Jacobs, associate professor of history at American University, presents in-depth overviews of three particularly intriguing sites: the Forbidden City in Beijing, Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks, and Redwood National and State Parks. Each lavishly illustrated program goes far beyond the typical tourist experience by incorporating the insights of the latest scholarship and research.
Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks
Seven parks comprise the Canadian Rocky Mountains, renowned for their scenic splendor and fruitful fossil excavations. They have attracted explorers, scholars, and businessmen for hundreds of years. Explore the geologic and human drama of one of the premier natural wonderlands of North America, approaching these parks from multiple perspectives, including native prehistory, the imperial fur trade, the construction of the transcontinental railroad, the creation of a Canadian nation, and groundbreaking scientific discoveries.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.