Save when you purchase the UNESCO Heritage Sites series!
There are 1,121 UNESCO World Heritage sites throughout the world. Each of them offers a fascinating glimpse into the evolution of complex civilizations, empires, and religions. Historian Justin M. Jacobs offers an in-depth overview of two particularly intriguing UNESCO World Heritage sites: the Great Wall of China and the sacred Buddhist landscape of Bagan. Each lavishly illustrated program goes far beyond the typical tourist experience by incorporating the insights of the latest scholarship and research.
Jacobs, associate professor of history at American University, is the author of several books, including The Compensations of Plunder: How China Lost Its Treasures. He is also the host of a 24-episode series on UNESCO World Heritage Sites for The Great Courses.
The Great Wall of China
The Great Wall of China is a marvel of human engineering and ingenuity, but its history is shrouded in myth and misinformation. Jacobs sifts through the legends to provide a more historically accurate understanding of just where, when, and why the Great Wall was built, how it was built and used, and how our perceptions of its utility have evolved over the past several centuries.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.