STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Why has Italy, with its long history of winemaking, only produced fine premium wines since after World War II? The answer is the adoption of modern techniques that ushered in the Tuscan wine revolution.
New wine styles are very rare, especially in Tuscany, where patterns of winemaking followed a traditional path. Wine production stretches back to ancient times, but blight and wars weakened the crops that yielded mediocre wines. But a few bold winemakers employing radical new techniques eventually reset the model for quality winemaking in the country, with wine professionals and connoisseurs thrilled with the results known as the Super Tuscans.
Join historian Peter Fischer as he explores the history of winemaking in Tuscany and the part Americans played in its revival. Raise a glass of one of the Tuscan wines he features (below) as you enjoy the presentation.
Sassicaia 2017 (Tenuta San Guido)
Tignanello 2017 (Antinori)
Le Pergole Torte (Montevertine)
MODERATELY PRICED SUBSTITUTIONS
(Best recent vintages are 2013, 2015, 2016)
Guidalberto–Bolgheri (Tenuta San Guido)
Guado al Tass–Bolgheri and Il Bruciato– Bolgheri (Antinori)
Montevertine–Radda in Chianti and Pian del Ciampolo–Radda in Chianti (Montevertine)
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.