Rowan Jacobsen (Photo: Laura Sabbatini)
The elusive, complex, and baffling scent of the truffle—it’s been compared to garlic, cheese, earth, sex, and gasoline, and more—sent James Beard-award-winning author Rowan Jacobsen down a rabbit hole. He emerged into a mysterious secretive world of black-market deals, obsessive chefs, and some very determined dogs.
Drawing on his new book, Truffle Hound: On the Trail of the World’s Most Seductive Scent, with Dreamers, Schemers, and Some Extraordinary Dogs, Jacobsen explores the industry of truffle hunting, which extends from Italy to eastern Europe, and Oregon to Quebec. Before they were appropriated by “the high priests of haute cuisine and the captains of commerce,” Jacobsen writes, “truffles were the thing from the forest” searched for mostly by local peasants.
Why has this fungus become a culinary luxury fetching up to $3,000 a pound? Hear Jacobsen’s colorful account of his quest for an answer, and the memorable truffle hunters he met along the way.
Copies of Truffle Hound (Bloomsbury) are available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- Purchase your copy of Truffle Hound by Rowan Jacobson here.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Politics and Prose is offering a 10% discount to Smithsonian Associates ticket-holders. To claim your discount, enter the code SPECIAL10 (no space between letters and numbers) in the “Coupon discount” section on Politics and Prose's check-out page.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.