Education consultant Barry McNealy and Darley Newman visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (Photo: Chad Davis)
Alabama’s Civil Rights Trail invites travelers to follow in the footsteps of legends and activists such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. The collection of museums, churches, national parks, and other landmarks in Montgomery, Birmingham, and Selma vividly bring to life the people, events, and ideals that advanced the fight for social justice during the 1950s and ’60s, such as the iconic Selma-to-Montgomery marches of 1965.
Emmy Award–nominated PBS television host Darley Newman shares insights into the historic destinations and how to get the most out of your exploration of the Alabama Civil Rights Trail. She offers tips on area guides and experts whose knowledge of the trail can deepen your experience, as well as recommendations for great local food, drink, lodging, and hotspots along the way.
The evening features a sneak preview of her “Travels With Darley” episode that spotlights the Civil Rights Trail, which premieres in the winter of 2022. Darley also invites you behind the scenes of its filming as she welcomes some special guests featured in the PBS series for a live conversation.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.