Begin by learning basic tapestry weaving techniques and design. Then, create a miniature woven tapestry on a small frame loom. Techniques covered include warping the loom; color mixing and hatching; and how to create horizontal stripes, vertical lines, irregular shapes, shading and contour. Different types of interlock, such as a dovetail join and weft interlock join, are covered in addition to the techniques involved in Soumak weaving.
No experience is necessary. More experienced students are welcome to join and work on their own design. A loom is needed for this course - see supply list for information on ordering. Please allow ample time to receive loom before class begins.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Tea Okropiridze.
- 6 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.