Begin by learning basic tapestry weaving techniques and design. Then create a miniature woven tapestry on a small-frame loom. Techniques covered include warping the loom; color mixing and hatching; and creating horizontal stripes, vertical lines, irregular shapes, shading and contour. Different types of interlock, such as a dovetail join and weft interlock join, are covered in addition to the techniques involved in soumak weaving.
No experience is necessary. More experienced students are welcome to join and work on their own design.
Special note: A loom is needed for this course—see supply list for information on ordering. Please allow ample time to receive loom before class begins.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Tea Okropiridze.
- This program includes 8 sessions, 2.5 hours each.
- Class will not be held on November 21.
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.