Tamika Mallory (Photo: Geeno Mizelli)
In what was called “the speech of a generation” by ABC News, activist Tamika D. Mallory declared that “Black people are dying in a state of emergency” at a Minneapolis press conference following the May 25, 2020 killing of George Floyd at the hands of police.
A cofounder of the organization Until Freedom and of the historic Women’s March, Mallory is a trailblazing social justice leader who was born and raised into activism. The Harlem native’s parents were founding members of Al Sharpton's National Action Network and imbued a passion for positive change that fuels her to this day.
Join Mallory as she discusses the history of systemic racism in this country and draws on her first-hand experience to lay out a vision for effective activism and lasting, positive change. Having stood at the forefront of several social justice movements across the country, she contends that history proves the issues of police reform and state violence are not unique to the modern day and are not easily answered by popular sentiment or the recent election—instead, they require smart, persistent engagement and knowledgeable activism.
A signed copy of State of Emergency: How We Win in the Country We Built (Atria/Black Privilege Publishing) is included in the ticket price.
BOOK DISTRIBUTION INFORMATION
The featured book with a bookplate signed by the author is included with the ticket price.
Books will be shipped by MahoganyBooks to your home address, so please review the accuracy of your name and address at the time of registration.
Books are shipped within 4–6 business days after the program.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.