NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, March 4, 2022.
As we transition to a greener future, one thing is clear: fast fashion is a thing of the past. Find out how to make your clothes last longer by using a host of sustainable fiber practices. Learn to do beautiful, visible mending using patches, embroidery, and darning. Get an introduction to basic alterations for resizing clothing, transforming T-shirts, and recycling fabric scraps for accessories. Learn about the history of sustainable fiber practices from different cultures, such as Japanese sashiko and the clever ways sewists coped with textile shortages during World War II. Students are challenged to consider their own shopping habits, the impact they have on the planet—and why we consumers need to become more conscientious citizens.
These practices are one part of a new lifestyle that embraces a “regenerative” economy rather than an extraordinary one. Consider taking this class as a step in the right direction for our world and future generations.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructors are Lauren Kingsland and Heather Kerley .
- 2 sessions, 2 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.